* It was in Western Turkey that man first began his process of intellectual discovery that was to take him out of the darkness of ignorance into the light of critical thought. The science based on a determination of natural laws sprang from observations of natural phenomenon in Miletus in the sixth century B.C.
* Mankind passed from the darkness of dogmas to the sunshine of science with the aid of critical thinking far the first time in western Anatolia. The Milesian pioneers of science recognized that Nature had its own laws and they thus liberated the interpretation of natural phenomena from religious straight jackets and began to reevaluate it with a free and critical contemplation, thus laying the foundations of the natural science that form the basis of the present human civilization. History knows these first Ionian scientists as the Milesian School The light created by the Milesians led to the blooming of an Ionian school during the pre-Socratic period and other Ionian cities also produced thinkers, who have illuminated mankind like the rising sun. Anatolia, “the place where the sun rises,” indeed earned this appellation for the first time with its Ionian pioneers of science.
* The pioneer of the Milesian scientists, Thales, who was both a mathematician and a natural scientist, is famous because the tradition ascribes to him the prediction of the eclipse o n28th May 585 B.C. (Herodotus, I 74). He was among the first to observe the attraction exercised on iron by certain ores in Magnesia, in ancient Lydia. Certain theorems of elementary geometry carry his name. Tradition also has celebrated him as an able engineer far his alleged feat of diverting the course of the river Halys to carry the army of the Lydia king Croesus across it. The foundations of western civilization, whose dominant component is the natural sciences, and especially of the most important source of this civilization, the Greek philosophy, were laid in western Anatolia, in lonia and especially in the home of science, Miletus.
* With the first rational criticism he made, the first rational cosmology he developed, the first world map (pinax) he drew, the first theory of organic evolution he conceived, and the first prose book he wrote on natural sciences, Anaximander, who the tradition says was some fifteen years younger than Thales, appears not only as the rule founder of natural sciences, but as the greatest architect of the civilization of free-thinking humans, who are ready to question everything and everybody, including themselves. Ascription to him of the invention of the gnomon was probably a result of his interest in astronomy. This modest Anatolian, who created a monumental tradition of thought that changed the destiny of mankind, was also the first person who stated that the earth is suspended in void. That this conclusion, which was not based on any observation but was purely a deduction from a local analysis of his friend Thales’ hypothesis, later appeared in the Book of Job (XXVI, 7) in the Bible, testifies to the range of the rays of the sun that had risen in Miletus.
* Anatolia, which means “the place where the sun rises” also gained significance as the place where science was fırst born thanks to early Ionic scientists, Thales, Anaximander, and Heraclitus.
Turkey and Human Geography
We are at the start of the 3000s. The first lights of the period, when the ideas and information were more valuable as dawn brightened, began to appear with the 21st century. Thoughts of land that first sprouted Geography of Turkey is one of the fertile geography where four of the top ten thinkers from the world. The continents (Europe, Asia, Africa) at the transition point in Eastern Mediterranean as a result of the diversity and richness of the gene pool is located in the same way as the idea of the richness and diversity.
The first essay on the Encyclopedia of Universal Thinkers begins with the accumulation of 2650 years, starting with Thales of Miletus, the first known philosopher born in 624 BC. The first great philosopher first 10 3, a total of 5 of them from Turkey’s geography. Philosophy, began in Turkey geography.
5 of the top 10 thinkers from thinkers born in Turkey.
- Thales, Milet
- Anaximander, Milet
- Pythagoras, Samos island
- Sun Tzu
- Heraclitus, Ephesus
- Anaxagoras, Klazomenai, Urla
Source: Xue Xiaoyuan, Dr. The Charisma of 100 Philosophers. 2018. China Pictorial Press.
It is extremely important that European philosophy from the continents surrounding the Mediterranean cannot be understood without the development process that takes place elsewhere and passes to Europe. The beginnings of the development called Garp philosophy lie in what the Hellenes call the Orient (Anatole). The first center here was Miletos. Thales, Anaximandros and Anaximenes were the first philosophers of the history of philosophy with the intellectual activity they showed and the problems they addressed.
The second and main center was in Europe: Athens. However, the third center, Alexandreia (Alexandria), is also outside the European borders in Egypt, followed by Baghdad, a little deeper in the Orient. Source: Elmar Holenstein, Atlas of Philosophy, Places and Ways of Thinking, 2015 June, Istanbul, Küre Publishing
Cyprus, located in the middle of the triangle of Miletus-Alexandria-Baghdad; It is in a position to reproduce the intellectual legacy of Asia Minor-Greater Asia-Africa.