1. While the final revisions of the article were made, the UK left the EU as a result of the referendum. “From Eastern Europe to East Turkestan” Turkey-based İktisadi Birlik has come before us as a century-old opportunity.
2. As a global export powerhouse, the Canton region in the south of China carries many clues in terms of our Turkey-based regional division of labor proposal.
3. Turkey has the similar advantage of living together with the nations in its region for centuries; In the event that a similar economic dynamism is created within the understanding of a network, our country will also be able to become a regional/global center of attraction.
4. Considering the example of the Canton model in the south of China for Turkey, Istanbul and the Thrace region in its hinterland have similar connotations.
5. There are 70 countries (markets) in 8 sub-regions in the 5-hour flight region where Turkey is the Center. Our Free Trade Area has been formed with 41 of these markets.
6. Diversity should be ensured in the products subject to the export of industrial sectors. The cooperation opportunities of the countries of the region in a very wide geography have the potential to turn the competition into a solution partnership in many products that seem to be competing with each other.
7. Turkey’s share in the foreign trade of the Balkan countries is only 1.2%. This share shows that Turkey, which has been in the region for 650 years since 1352 and is the largest economy in the Balkans, does not actually exist in the region.
8. Although there is no Customs Union agreement with Turkestan markets, EKIT, Africa, OIC, Gulf IB (GCC), the fact that our market share (import) is higher than our EU market share makes it necessary to question the Customs Union with the EU. GB is the means of occupation of the Turkish market in favor of Europe. The 20-year EU-GB process has made Turkey the open market of Europe.
9. The measurement of the current situation in exports should be done with the right methods. The criterion to be taken as a basis while evaluating the export is not the value or quantity of the products sold to the market in question. The measure is our share of the total import value of that market; is our percentage in its value; is our share. Measures are not our sales; is the share we get from the market of the buyer country. South Korea, with a population of 50 million, has increased its exports to over 500 billion dollars with this market share strategy. Hyundai, Samsung, LG etc. global brands and companies are the results of this model.
10. The “Foreign Trade Capital Companies” model of the late Turgut Özal, the visionary founder of İkitelli OSB, should be revived specifically for the İOSB, and the markets of 119 countries, to which our global brand THY flies, should be targeted with the target of “İkitelli Organized Market: The World”.
As a result of globalization, the development axis of economies is shifting again; It is shifting from the Atlantic (Europe) to the Pacific (Asia). This development presents a great opportunity for Turkey; TURKEY-CENTERED REGIONAL COOPERATION AND DIVISION.
The SILK ROAD, which has been the historical vein of trade for thousands of years, is reviving. Hosting this legendary road stretching from the Great Wall of China to Rumelia, Turkey and China have taken their places among the 10 growing economies of the world. Today, Turkey and China play a leading role in the integration of common commercial space and free (duty-free) trade in their regions.
Today, Turkey and China models are emphasized in the global economy. Turkey and China models; It differs from each other in terms of both the forms of competition in the markets and the democratic (Turkey) and authoritarian monocentricity (China).
How can Turkey in the west of Asia be such a center while China in eastern Asia is a global center of attraction? The answer lies in the regional cooperation model.
The presence of China in the BRIC group on Emerging Economies and Turkey in the MINT group clearly shows the direction of development.
As a result of the regionalization trends in trade accelerated by globalization, the China-centered region in East Asia creates a division of labor and synergy with its neighbors within the framework of regional cooperation;
- North East Asia (Japan, Korea),
- Greater China (China, Hong Kong, Taiwan) and
- South East Asia (Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, Vietnam, Philippines, Singapore, Burma, Cambodia, Laos).
While exports from the region are mostly towards the US market, the key country in this cooperation is China. In the next ten years, China is on the way to create the AFTA-Asian Free Trade Area together with the countries in the mentioned region.
Map 1: Pearl River Delta, Canton Region, China
As a global export powerhouse, the Canton region in the south of China carries many clues in terms of our Turkey-based regional division of labor proposal.
The Pearl River delta in the Canton region of China is a global production base. Numerous foreign-invested factories for the consumer industry create an incredible traffic of people and goods here. Containers, sea buses, landing and departing planes, trucks display dazzling dynamism.
Map 2: Canton Region, China
China has taken such a regional leadership initiative in its region. Especially, with the Bill Clinton administration, the concept of Greater China has started to be used. The Chinese are also reaping the fruits of this with their economy that has been growing 7-8% for 25 years and continuously.
Since the Clinton administration, China (more precisely, Greater China = (China+Hong Kong+Taiwan) has taken the lead among the world’s 10 emerging economies.
Map 3: Regionalization in Asia-Pacific – The “New Mediterranean” Economic Corridor
The Chinese speaking the same language from Taiwan, Hong Kong, People’s Republic of China and overseas (USA, England, Canada, Thailand, Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Australia, New Zealand) create a great economic dynamism in a network understanding.
The Chinese Business Network is one of the strongest networks in the world and is the real force behind China’s rapid development.
REGIONAL DEPARTMENT OF LABOR PROPOSITION centered in Turkey
Turkey has a similar advantage of living together with the nations in its region for centuries; In the event that a similar economic dynamism is created within the understanding of a network, our country will also be able to become a regional/global center of attraction.
In economic terms;
- EKIT (ECO),
Our connections and our position within the major institutions of the Western World also reinforce our role as a regional power.
Considering the example of the Canton model in the south of China for Turkey, Istanbul and the Thrace region in its hinterland have similar connotations. Area;
· Renovated factories in new centers (Çerkezköy, Çorlu, İkitelli) in the last 10 years,
· Opportunities created by Istanbul in terms of contact with the outside world,
· Transportation opportunities and
· Progress towards becoming a fashion/fair center,
· Not only Turkey but also Turkey Its characteristic of being the historical metropolis and capital of empires of a very large region, including .
Map 4: Thrace Map
All these factors; When evaluated together, it has features that will enable us to be hopeful for the creation of a similar dynamism.
If Turkey implements a policy of strengthening by creating regional division of labor/cooperation and an economic union in the region, of course, it can reap the benefits of this like China and become the dynamo of regionalization and development in its region with its high growth rates.
The regionalization dynamism will also bring the advantages of being both a forwarding country and a forwarded country in industrial sectors, especially in subcontracting and outward processing directed by German and Italian companies.
Turkey has a similar linguistic and cultural advantage in its region, which is strengthened by historical and cultural ties; When Turks in EU countries and the USA are also included, if a similar economic dynamism is created within a network understanding, Turkish industry will also become a center of attraction.
As a result of the evaluation of regional cooperation opportunities;
• We can become the largest supplier of industries in the region.
• We can be among the top 5 countries in the region, especially in industrial production.